Arctic Wildlife Safari
Tour ID: GO 21
Tour duration: 8 days / 7 nights (in Greenland)
Enjoy amazing days in remote nature and discovering the various wildlife such as muskox, polar bear and walrus in their natural habitats. Inuit hunters will bring you on dogsledges and snowmobiles to the best Safari spots.
- Kap Tobin
- Ittoqqortoormiit village
- Greenlandic dogs
- dogsledge tour
- snowmobile tour
- possibly a chance to spot polar bears and other wild life
- Amazing Arctic nature
Departures: March - May 2018
Flights are operated on Mondays and Thursdays
Ask for price and availability!
Included in the package:
- Flights from Reykjavik via Akureyri to/from Constable Point
- Helicopter transport Constable Point Ittoqqortoormiit & snowmobile transport back to airport
- 7 nights accommodation with full board in a privately owned house at Kap Tobin
- Activities and other transportation as per itinerary
- Private guide & cook during your stay
Day 1, Wednesday:
Take morning flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri where the passengers for Greenland need to change to a smaller aircraft (Twin Otter or King Air B200) to continue to Greenland. After arrival in Constable Point (Nerlerit Inaat) there is another exciting trip waiting, a 15-minute helicopter flight to Ittoqqortoormiit village. Your guide Įrni Valur will greet you in the village and transport you by snowmobile to your final destination at Kap Tobin where you will stay for the duration of your visit in a privately owned house.
Day 2 7:
Enjoy the stay in the small village of Kap Tobin with no permanent inhabitants except during spring months when the hunters use their houses as a base for the daily hunting trips to the ice edge. The location offers superb views of the distant mountains of Scoresby Sund fjord.
During your stay various activities are planned:
- Day trip with local Inuit hunter on dog sledge (approx 6 hrs). Depending on ice conditions the hunter will bring you close to the ice edge where you may be lucky to spot some local wild life. The hunter might try and hunt a seal (if this is acceptable to you).
- Snowmobile activities: During your stay we will use snowmobiles as means of transportation to explore the amazing Arctic nature and try to spot a polar bear. We will plan each day/destination in cooperation with local hunters in order to maximize the possibility of spotting bears. We will visit Kap Hope (a deserted village) and the Apuseq glacier for a fantastic view along the East coast of Liverpool Land and a perfect vantage point for spotting local wild life in the area.
- A village tour around Ittoqqortoormiit village, visit the museum and other places of interest and have a chance to observe the Inuit village at its daily routine.
- You will get the chance to taste local food, such as muskox, polar bear, walrus etc (type of meat depending on availability each time).
From the house in Kap Tobin we are uniquely situated to observe the hunters as they go about their daily routines - checking seal holes, or preparing to start a hunting trip. Being so close to the ice edge offers a great opportunity to spot polar bears on their migration route further north along the coast. The hunters are always on the look out!
Day 8, Wednesday:
After breakfast it is time time to get ready for departure. Your final leg of the journey is a 50-km snowmobile ride to Nerlerit Inaat. This adventure takes you across the frozen sea ice, over a mountain pass and eventually back down to Hurry Fjord where the airport is situated. Transport time with snowmobile is 1½ - 2 hours. Check in for the flight back to Iceland.
Polar Bears are not strangers to this part of the world. When you decide to go off on your own, please let someone know about your programme, and at all times carry signal flares when walking alone. They can be purchased at the KNI store.