Colourful Town and Icebergs
Tour ID: GA03
Formerly the town now named Tasiilaq was called Ammassalik. Ammassalik is now the name of the whole district. Tasiilaq in East Greenlandic means "something resembling a lake". Tasiilaq is the largest town in East Greenland with about 2000 residents and is one of the fastest growing communities in Greenland. The town is only a 10-minute helicopter ride from Kulusuk airport, but this short flight is one of the most scenic expeditions imaginable, as you cross the ice-filled sea separating these two mountainous islands. The town of Tasiilaq lies just south of the Arctic Circle and boasts long hours of daylight in the summer, and the splendour of the northern lights in the winter.
- Kulusuk island
- Mountains and fjords of Ammassalik area
- Colourful town of Tasiilaq
- Inuit culture
- Greenlandic dogs
Departures in 2018:
In March, April and September: Tuesdays and Thursdays
In May: Thursdays
In June: All days, except Saturdays and Sundays
In July and August: All days
Tour duration: 3 days /2 nights
Price (in summer) per person :
In double/twin room with private facilities: EUR 1.925
Single supplement: EUR 145
Additional night: EUR 245
In double room without private facilities: EUR 1.750
Single supplement: EUR 80
Additional night: EUR 175
- Flights Reykjavík-Kulusuk-Reykjavík
- Airport taxes
- Helicopter flight Kulusuk-Tasiilaq-Kulusuk
- 2 nights accommodation in double room, with full board (starting with evening meal on day 1).
Contact us for off-season options and prices.
* Helicopter between Kulusuk and Tasiilaq does not operate on Sundays.
If you decide to travel to/from Iceland on this day then you will need need to stay one night in Kulusuk instead Tasiilaq.
For our Terms & Conditions click here.
Check in at Reykjavík domestic airport for the flight to Kulusuk. Depending on travel date the departure ca be either in the morning or early afternoon. After arrival at Kulusuk airport, short helicopter flight to Tasiilaq, the largest town in East Greenland and transfer to the hotel where you will stay both 2 nights.
Free time in the afternoon gives you the opportunity to get to know the area or possibly join an optional tour which can be booked a the hotel.
You can visit the museum in Tasiilaq or just take a walk in the town observing the colourful houses and the local people at their daily chores.
Or simply enjoy the view of icebergs floating in the fjord and the nature surrounding the town.
Depending on weather and ice conditions there are possibilities for optional tours which are not included in the package price, but can be booked locally. Here are some of the options possible during summer months:
* Hiking in the Valley of the Flowers (1-2 hrs.)
* Evening Boat Cruise (1˝ hour).
* Iceberg Cruise (2 hrs).
* Ikateq village boat tour (about 5 hrs incl. simple meal on board).
* Mittivakkat glacier helicopter tour (Flight 20 min., ground stop 20 min.).
* Helicopter tour to the glacier of Johann Petersen fjord (flight 40 min., ground stop 15 min.)
* Helicopter to the Heilheim glacier (flight approx 65 min., ground stop 20 min.).
During winter/spring months it is possible to do one of the helicopter tours; a 1-hour snowmobile ride; or a 3-hour dogsled tour to Sarfagajik.
In the morning transfer to heliport in time to check in for the helicopter flight back to Kulusuk.
If flight schedule allows, you can use the time to take a walk to Kap Dan village (the walk takes approx. 40 min. each way), before departing on flight to Reykjavík. Arrival late afternoon or early evening.