Lofthellir Lava Cave from Mývatn
Tour ID: IN09M
Tour Duration: 5 hours from Myvatn
An adventure of travelling through the rugged landscape of a lava field, first in a 4x4 vehicle and then on foot. We explore the wondrous world of unique ice sculptures inside the Lofthellir lava cave.
- Volcanic landscape of Lake Myvatn
- Mt Hverfjall
- Ludentsborgir row crater
- Walk across the ropey lava field
- Lofthellir lava cave
- Underground ice world
- Snowshoe hike (in winter)
Departures: all year from Lake Myvatn
Price per person for summer tour: (until 31 Oct.): ISK 17.900
Price per person for winter tour: (1 Nov.-30 Apr.): ISK 25.900
Child discount: 50% (age 8-12).
Minimum: 2 adults or minimum rate
Maximum: 14 participants
Tour duration: 4-5 hrs
● Transportation and guidance in English
● Cave exploration equipment (helmet, headlights, rubber boots)
Refreshments not included.
Meeting point: Lake Mývatn Information Centre or free hotel pick up
Advance reservation is necessary.
- This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition
- Not recommended for people with knee or hip problems
- To reach the cave is a 30 minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field
- The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow and guests need to crawl on their stomach to enter
- There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour
We recommend you bring along:
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Thick socks
- Water bottle