River Rafting in Skagafjörður - Whitewater Action
Tour ID: IN12B
East River: 6 hours trip with 2-3 hours on the river (+ drive from/to Akureyri, 1 hour each way!).
Rafting down the glacial rivers of Skagafjörður is an experience of a lifetime. If you wish for adventure and fun then this is a thing not to be left out from your visit to Iceland.
Adventurous white water rafting on the East river (graded 4+) will take you through the majestic canyon of the glacial river (Austari Jökulsá). Though difficult, this river rafting adventure is suitable for those without previous experience. An ability to swim and enthusiasm for paddling is all that is required.
Alternatively, if you'd like to have a family rafting adventure you could take the route of the West river - Vestari Jökulsá (graded 2+).
This tour is 3-4 hours long with approx. 1½ hour on the water offering fun and more gentle whitewater experience.
Departures: 1st May - 25thSeptember 2018
East river (Whitewater action): daily 09:00
Prices per person:
East River (Graded 4+) ISK 33.490 person (incl.return transfers Akureyri-Varmahlíð)
– All rafting equipment: drysuit, PFD, helmet, booties, gloves
– Qualified, professional raft guides and safety kayakers
– Transportation between our rafting base and the river
– Riverside refreshments (food and hot drinks for East River trips, hot drinks for West River trips)
This is like your favorite Disney World ride, but without a seatbelt! And just like that ride, you don't need any previous rafting experience to discover for yourself why the East Glacial River has become Iceland's signature whitewater rafting trip. The reason we are experienced professionals is so you don't have to be.
If you're scared of getting splashed by huge waves and don't enjoy excitement, this is definitely not the trip for you. However, we're pretty confident that you'll still love our Family Rafting trip!. The East Glacial River Gorge (Jökulsá-Austari) is the setting for our most action-packed and exciting rafting day tour. With spectacular deep canyon scenery and relentless heart-pumping whitewater, the East has been consistently rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and has topped popular guide books’ lists of "must-do's" in Iceland. One of the most remote single-day rafting trips on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the untamed beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness. Combine that with a dose of adrenaline strong enough to satisfy the most powerful of cravings. For those traveling to Iceland with a thirst for adventure, this is a day tour not to be missed!.
"WHITEWATER ACTION" RAFTING DAY TRIP FROM AKUREYRI - Our Whitewater Action rafting trip is available as a day tour package from Akureyri, including return transportation and lunch. When booking online, simply select the "Lunch of the Day" and "Pickup from Akureyri" extras to build the full day tour package. Departures from Akureyri are available everyday, but due to limited seating must be booked in advance
Duration : 6 hours including transportation
Minimum: 2 persons
Maximum: 55 persons
Rafting Grading: 2+ (Easy)
Minimum Age: 6 years
The first thing you need to know about our trip is that we give you a DRY SUIT! This incredible piece of gear should keep you 95% dry during your rafting trip, but they will NOT keep you warm! There is nothing tropical about our river or environment. The water we will be rafting on is fed directly by a Glacier, so it’s very COLD. The key to being happy on the river is to stay warm. We strongly encourage you to bring multiple layers; tops, bottoms, and socks to keep you feeling comfortable while rafting. If you bring the correct clothing, you won’t be cold at all. What do we mean exactly? Let us explain…
What to Wear on the River
- Thermal underwear / base layers
- Warm fleece top / wool sweater
- Fleece pants / extra long johns
- Thick wool socks / hiking socks (at least 1 pair)
- AVOID COTTON. As you are paddling down the river you are going to sweat. When cotton gets wet, it makes you cold.
- Fleece, wool, and synthetics are the best materials to wear because when they get wet, they keep your body warm. If you only have cotton, we can still make it work!
What else to bring
- Dry clothes for after the river
- Any necessary medications (asthma inhalers, etc.)
- Waterproof camera (optional)
- Thirst for adventure & sense of humour
- Please trust us when we say that the river can be the worst of all thieves, and that any valuables you bring with you on the raft (cameras, sunglasses, laptops, etc.), are likely to disappear to the bottom of the rapids when you are fully distracted and least expecting it. Trust us, we’ve learned our lesson too many times, and we’ll do our very best to avoid saying “I told you so”! Hide your valuables somewhere that you can find them safe and dry after your trip.